Under the Crown’s Māori Language strategy Te Maihi Karauna all public service agencies must have a language plan by 2021.
Language planning is not just about learning Māori. People who are not learning Māori can still help revitalise our indigenous language! Language planning targets five key areas, and your language plan can emphasis any element of elements.
• Status – people value te reo Māori
• Critical awareness – people know te reo Māori is endangered and their role in revitalisation
• Acquisition – people are learning te reo Māori
• Use – people read, write and speak and comprehend te reo Māori in many places and circumstances (domains)
• Corpus – the right words and terms are available for all circumstances