Licensing of Translators and Interpreters
Te Tuku Raihana ki ngā Kaiwhakamāori ā-Tuhi/ā-Waha
Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori is entitled to award the following certificates of competency:
(a) competency in translation
(b) competency in interpretation
(c) competency in translation and interpretation
The Māori Language Act 2016 renews the duty and responsibility of Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori to provide training and examinations for Te Toi Reo Māori. Weekend training will be held in Rotorua in March, April and May 2017. The final written and oral examinations will also take place in Rotorua.
Participation in the training sessions and examinations is free.
There are two parts to the examination
- a three hour written component and
- a one hour test of oral competency and interpretation
All candidates must attain 80% to pass the translation or interpretation exam.
- excellent Māori and English language skills in a wide variety of social domains and contexts;
- possess a post-graduate qualification in Māori language; or evidence of iwi attestation;
- excellent time-management;
- wide knowledge of appropriate use of genre-specific register and style;
- demonstrate knowledge of Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori Guidelines for Māori Language Orthography; [PDF, 550 KB]
- extensive knowledge of traditional and contemporary Māori language vocabulary and complex grammatical structures.
- previous experience in simultaneous and/or consecutive oral interpretation (including the above criteria for translation examination)
Information for Te Toi Reo Māori 2017
- The training and examinations for Toi Reo Māori will be held in Rotorua
- Registration for the training sessions closes on 27 February 2017
- The first training session will be held on Saturday-Sunday, 4 & 5 March
- The second training session will be held on Saturday-Sunday, 1 & 2 April
- The third training session will be held on Saturday-Sunday, 6 & 7 May
- Registration for the final written and oral examinations closes on 31 May
- The final examinations for Te Toi Reo Māori will be held on Saturday, 10 June
For more information contact email@example.com