Learning te reo Māori resources
Learning te Reo Māori Suggested Activities
Try these activities a go! Learning te Reo Māori is fun.
- Improve your pronunciation of Māori words and place names (external link)
- Use‘kia ora,’ tēnā koe and ‘mōrena’ as greetings.
- Use a Māori language welcome sign at home, work, school etc.
- Find out about local Māori place names.
- Make macrons available on your work and home computer(s).
- Learn new words using online and printed dictionaries.
- Display Māori Language Week posters at home, school or work.
- Learn a Māori word every week : Te Kupu o te Wiki
- Hold Māori classes at work.
- Learn karakia, waiata etc this week.
- Check out more Māori such as Māori Television for example Dora Mātātoa (external link) .
- Watch Māori Television (external link) or Te Karere (external link) (the Māori news on TVNZ), it’s a great way to learn new Māori words.
- Bilingual signs (external link) . Use bilingual signs - signs are a visible way of showing that te reo is valued at your workplace, school etc.
- Listen to Iwi Radio in your region (external link) . Te Māngai paho supports te reo Māori broadcasting.