Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori is entitled to award the following certificates of competency:
(a) competency in translation
(b) competency in interpretation
(c) competency in translation and interpretation
The Māori Language Act 2016 renews the duty and responsibility of Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori to provide training and examinations for Te Toi Reo Māori.
Te Toi Reo Māori
In order to fulfill this aim, three training courses will be held to strengthen and further develop these skills, in Māori and English. Topics to be studied include:
- theories, quality criteria, assessments, orthographic conventions
- bilingual signage
- reports for schools, businesses, community et cetera
- media releases, advertisements
- oral interpretation in English
- oral interpretation in Māori.