Kua 90 noa ngā moe kia tae mai ki Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori 2019
here are just 90 days to go until Māori Language Week 2019, 9-15 September.
The week celebrates the Māori language and its revitalisation.
Māori Language Commission Chief Executive Ngahiwi Apanui says now is the time to start planning.
“The theme for 2019 is being maintained as ‘Kia Kaha te Reo Māori’. ‘Kia Kaha’ is well known by both Māori and English speakers and came into popular, New Zealand wide, use in the 19th century as part of the sports chant ‘Kia Kaha, Ake, Ake, Ake!’
In recent years mainstream media have been big promoters of te reo Māori during the week and indications are there will again be strong support. Local groups planning activities should let media know ahead of time.
“As we say ‘Ahakoa iti, akona, kōrerotia. Learn a little. Use a little!
To get underway, here are a few planning phrases:
- What shall we do for Māori Language week?
- Shall we all join a Māori Language Week parade?
- Let’s have a hāngi lunch
- If you want, we could have a poster competition
- Should we have a waiata session each day?
- We should put up Māori Language signs
- Let’s give a discount to customers who speak to us in Māori – even a little!
- Let’s learn some easy Māori words before Māori Language Week
- It would be really good if each of us learned our own pepeha or mihi before te Wiki o te Reo Māori
Visit the Te Wiki o Te reo Māori(external link) webpage for more ideas to use from September 9-15!